Nearby Attractions

New Bedford Whaling Museum

            18 Johnny Cake Hill, New Bedford, Massachusetts, contains glassware, whaling relics, scrimshaw and replicas of ships related to whaling.

The Tabor Wall

Adjacent to the Joseph Bates Home is the chimny wall of the Tabor Cabin, built about 1678.  This is the oldest standing structure in the town of Fairhaven.  The cabin was built by the son-in-law of John Cook who arrived in America in 1620 on the Mayflower as a 14year-old boy.  John was a member of the Plymouth colony until, for religious freedom reasons, he moved to the Fairhaven area.  His daugher married Thomas Tabor who built a cabin about 1678.

Fairhaven Academy

Built in 1798 by Joseph Bates Sr. and several of his friends now serves as the Fairhaven Visitor's Center.  It is just 4 blocks south of the Bates home at 141 Main St.  Here one can find a wealth of local history information.  The Visitor's Center features a early 1800's classroom complete with desks and furnishings.  This would be a good place to start if you are looking for more things to do or visit in or near Fairhaven, MA.  An informative visitor's guide can be downloaded with the following link FAIRHAVEN VISITORS GUIDE 2017  The Visitor's Guide features a two-page article about Joseph Bates and local sites connected with Bates.

Joshua Slocom Monument

Just a block west of the Bates home is the monument to the first man to sail around the world single-handed.  He left New Bedford harbor and returned three years later after his record-breaking journey.

Old Sturbridge Village

            A working reproduction of an 1830's village and surrounding farms, is a delightful introduction to the world in which Adventism had its beginnings. Included are a printing establishment complete with a hand press similar to the Washington Hand Press on which the early Reviews were printed. It is located near the interchange of Massachusetts Turnpike (Highway 90) and Interstate 86, southwest of Worcester and South Lancaster.